the turnbull building
In the Fall of 2016, Elemi was approached to transform an existing warehouse space into shell office space and a preeminent event space for Chattanooga. The Turnbull building was built in the early 1900’s for the Turnbull Ice Cream Cone Company and was converted into a warehouse in the 1980’s. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in the 1990’s. Elemi’s design challenge was to convert the building to serve a new use while preserving the historic character of the building to qualify for historic tax credits toward the restoration. The existing windows were preserved and every pane of glass was replaced with insulated glass panels. New entry doors were added that matched the character of the existing windows. New bathrooms were created and placed in such a way that the exterior was unaffected. Power and data were added at each existing column to allow for maximum flexibility for office layout. The Turnbull reopened in early 2018, and has successfully hosted a number of events including weddings and a dinner for the Scenic City Supper Club.